Thursday, August 26, 2004

The Olympic Triathlon

It was amazing watching Kate Allen (Austria) blast from out of nowhere onto the podium of the women's triathlon last night. I was really stoked that the American women were so strong, and although I'm a little disappointed Barb wasn't able to make the podium. . . the women had an incredible showing.

When someone is considered as much of a long shot as Allen was, it is always inspirational to see the underdog perform so well. I was so inspired. . . I stayed up to watch the men's triathlon broadcast live. Luckily, it started around 1 a.m.

I don't think of Switzerland as a triathlon powerhouse, but maybe I need to study a little more. Sven Riederer had a GUTSY run to hang in for the bronze. Greg Bennett was flying on the run, and I thought he might nab Riederer at the line. . . but it wasn't meant to be.

The triathlon is definitely an Olympic sport that should stick around for quite some time. To me, it is the pinnacle of athleticism. And even though this year was not as emotional as the debut in 2000, it was still one of the most exciting events to watch by far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home