Sunday, February 20, 2005

Awful Grace of God. . .

I had a friend die a few weeks back. A really difficult week for me followed, but I'm certain that for his family, the difficulties continue. I found myself looking for this quote, which I had heard on a RFK special on PBS months ago. Hopefully I won't be looking for it again, for quite a while. . .

By the way, Daron was in his mid 30's, an incredible athlete at Cal, continued to play water polo regularly, and died of a heart attack. His brother mentioned at the memorial service that he had several smaller attacks over a period of time leading up to this one. Because of his age and shape, he didn't recognize the symptoms, that are too obvious now.

Regardless of age or fitness level, it never hurts to know the basics. . . the American Red Cross or American Heart Association are great resources for taking a short class on how to recognize symptoms and respond to them.



My favorite poet was Aeschylus. He wrote:
"In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until,
in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of
God."
by Robert F. Kennedy April 4th
1968

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home