Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Complain Today. . . Gone Tomorrow

Blog that killed a career:

OK. . . Google is great, but I don't know if it is great enough that I would leave a company that provided me with insurance so I could get 2 one-hour massages per month! And certainly, if I did, I don't think I would rant about the crappy treatment I received after I made the decision to give it all up. But that is what Mark Jen did, and less than a month after starting at Google, he is looking for another associate product manager position.

Anyway, Fast Company always has great articles about change management. For a few quick tips, Hidden Assets is a great article. The lesson to be learned. . . there are lots of ways to create change, make sure you choose the best one for your situation.

But back to massages. . . I think more companies (or at least any company that I work for!) should take the cue from Microsoft:

"next, let's look at the health care benefit provided. arguably, this is the
biggest benefit companies pay out for their employees. google definitely has a
program that is on par with other companies in the industry; but since when does
a company like google settle for being on par? microsoft's health care benefits
shame google's relatively meager offering. for those of you who don't know,
microsoft pays 100% of employees' premiums for a world-class PPO. everything you can possibly imagine is covered. the program has no co-pays on anything
(including prescription drugs); you can self-refer to any doctor in the blue
cross blue shield network, which pretty much means any licensed professional;
and you can even get up to 24 hour-long massage sessions per year."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home